COME IN TO LEARN..................GO OUT TO SERVE
* Providing qu ality education to the children.
* Developing harmonious growth of the personality of the children through variety of co-curricular activities.
*Creating the environment to bring out the best among the teachers and students.
* Adopt modern education techniques - external and internal accountability, effective leadership, linkages with the local community.
*Art in Education programmes to provide opportunities for students to inculcate nationalistic values through sharing and learning traditional skills and art with the help of renowned traditional artists.
*Built-in-mechanism of self-reliance, self-evaluation, character, rigour and discipline in academic pursuit.
* Freedom of experimentation and innovation.
OBJECTIVES AND SILENT FEATURES OF NAVODAYA VIDYALAYA
- To serve the objectives of excellence coupled with equity and social justice.
- To promote national integration by providing opportunities to talented children, largely rural, from different part of the country, to live and learn together and develop their full potential.
- To provide good quality modern education, including a strong component of culture, inculcation of values, awareness of the environment, adventure activities and physical education.
- To ensure that all students of Navodaya Vidyalayas attain a reasonable level of competence in three language as envisaged in the Three Language Formula; and
- To serve, in each district, as focal point for improvement in quality of school education through sharing of experiences and facilities.
- JNVST : Entrance on the basis of Merit
Navodaya Vidyalayas draw their student strength from talented children, selected on the basis of a merit test, called the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Selection Test, designed, developed and conducted by NCERT initially and now, by the CBSE. The test is held annually on All India basis and at block and district levels. It is objective, class neutral and is so designed as to ensure that rural children are not at disadvantage.
- Reservation for Rural, S.C., S.T. and Girl Students
Admissions in Jawahar Novodaya Vidyalayas primarily for children from the rural areas, with provision of 75% seats for rural children. Seats are reserved for children from the SC and ST communities in proportion to their population in the district but not less than the national average. 1/3 of the seats are for girl students. 3% of the seats are for disabled children.
- Co-educational Residential Schools with Free Education
Navodaya Vidyalayas offer free education to talented children from Class-VI to XII. Navodaya Vidyalayas are affiliated to the CBSE. Entry to a Navodaya Vidyalaya is in Class-VI only along with lateral entry into Class IX & XI. Each Navodaya Vidyalaya is a co-educational residential institution providing free boarding and lodging, expenses on uniforms, text books, stationery, to and from rail and bus fare. However, a nominal fee @ Rs. 200/- per month is charged from students of Class IX to XII for Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi. The students belonging to SC, ST, categories, girls disabled students and children of the families below poverty line are exempted from this fee.
- Adherence to Three Language Formula
The Regional Language is generally the medium of instruction from Class-VI to VIII and from Class- IX onwards, it is English for Science and Mathematics and Hindi for Humanities subjects.
- Promotion of National Integration
Navodaya Vidyalayas aim at inculcating values of national integration through migration scheme though which the inter regional exchange of students between Hindi and Non-Hindi speaking States and vice-versa takes place for one academic year. Efforts are made to promote better understanding of the unity in diversity and cultural heritage through various activities.
- Location of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas
Navodaya Vidyalayas are located in rural areas across the country. The State Govt. is to offer cost free land and rent free temporary buildings for the setting up of a Navodaya Vidyalaya.
- Academic Excellence
In Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas, all out efforts are made to develop competencies among students in scholastic and non-scholastic areas of education which leads to effective personality development of each child. Indicated below in the comparison of average pass percentage of NVS that of other school systems like Kendriya Vidyalayas and independent schools wherein Navodaya's average pass percentage is significantly higher than the national average of other schools affiliated to CBSE.
Navodaya Vidyalayas are run by the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti which is an autonomous organisation under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Secondary & Higher Education, Govt of India. The Chairman of the Samiti is the Hon'ble Minister of Human Resource Development. Hon'ble Minister of State for Education in the Ministry of H.R.D. is the Vice Chairman of the Samiti. The Samiti functions through an Executive Committee under the Chairmanship of Hon'ble Minister of HRD. It is responsible for the management of all affairs including allocation of funds to the Samiti and has the authority to exercise all powers of the Samiti. The Executive Committee is assisted by two Sub-Committees, i.e. Finance Committee and Academic Advisory Committee, in its functions.
The executive head of the administrative pyramid is the Commissioner who executes the policies laid down by the Samiti's Executive Committee. He/she is assisted at the Headquarters level by Joint Commissioners, Deputy Commissioners and Asstt. Commissioners. At the Regional level, he/she is assisted by the Deputy Commissioners and Asstt. Commissioners. The Organisational Chart of the Samiti is given at Appendix-III. The Samiti has established 8 Regional Offices for the administration and monitoring of Navodaya Vidyalayas under their jurisdiction. For each Vidyalaya, there is a Vidyalaya Advisory Committee and a Vidyalaya Management Committee for the general supervision of the Vidyalaya. District Magistrate of the concerned district is the Chairman of Vidyalaya level Committee with local educationists, public representatives and officers from the District as members. The Vidyalaya Management Committee has two sub-committees i.e. Vidyalaya Purchase Advisory Sub-Committee and Vidyalaya Appointments Sub-Committee.